Best Vacuum Sealer Reviews For 2018 – 2019
If you are looking to buy a food saver you will notice that there are many different models available. With so many models out there which one do you choose? You first need to decide what qualities you want in vacuum sealer reviews. Once you know what you want, then you can do research and find the product right for you.
Things to know before you buy
Before you buy a food saver there are several factors to consider first.
1.Machine size is a considerable factor
- You don’t want a machine that is too big or too small. Compact food savers are nice for small counter tops. They are also great for use when traveling. However, you do want it big enough to accommodate various sizes of storage bags. Smaller models may only work with smaller bags. This could be a problem if you need or want to store large quantities of food.
2. Ease of use
- Some small appliances can be confusing to work. Even some automated machines may take practice to use. You want to purchase a product that is easy to use and with clear understandable instructions.
3. Is it easy to clean and maintain?
- Spills will always happen and they will get into anything. So make sure you can open the product easily for cleaning. Check for removable parts or drip tray. This will make cleaning your vacuum sealer an easy job..
4. What type of storage replacement bags to buy?
- So you want to make sure you get a model that works with different types of bags. Sometimes you are limited to using a specific type of storage bag. Some food savers also come with attachments. They make it easy to use with other types of storage containers or jars. You don’t want to be limited to just bag storage.
5. Cost is an issue to think about
- While being economical in the long run, some food savers can still be very expensive when first purchased. Name brand models often cost more than the generic ones. So you need to shop around first and make sure you get the most for your money. The average cost of a vacuum saver ranges from $100 to $200. Commercial sized machines may range slightly higher as they are made to be more industrial and of higher quality.
6. Does the product have a long life span?
- There is nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a product that has a short life span. Some products can break down after just a few months of use. You want to look for a product that is durable enough to last a long time. Some vacuum sealers can only handle a limited amount of sealing before they need a rest period. Others can work a long time with no issues at all. Be sure to purchase a machine with a few years of warranty on it just in case.
Best Vacuum Sealer on the Market
While there are many types and models available, only a few food savers stand out from the rest. Here are 10 of the best food savers currently on the market.
Under $200: Food Saver V3240
This food saver comes with a starter kit. So you don’t need to buy extra accessories right away. It comes with a large roll of bag, 3 Quart heat seal bags and 3 Gallon size heat seal bags. The bags are made to be long lasting. They are multilayered and won’t break. It has a special storage area for the roll. It comes with a built in cutter too. So you don’t need to look for scissors or wonder where the bags are. It has an easy 2 button vacuum speeds for operation. This product can handle both moist and dry food storage. It has a crush free seal. So your food won’t get damaged in the sealing process.
This model is fairly compact and will sit just about anywhere. It weighs about 9 pounds. So it is easy to carry and move around. It has large easy to use operation buttons on the front. The seal is extra wide so it will handle large capacity bags. Hose accessories come with this product. You can use with other FoodSaver canisters and jars. Cleaning is easy with this model. It has a removable drip tray. Its large size will catch any liquid drip or spill that may happen.
This model is designed to be used with a 3 step process. You basically place your bag to be sealed in the vacuum area. Close the door and lock it. Then press one of the operation buttons to start the process. Vacuum sealing takes about 30 seconds to complete.
A 10 page instruction manual is included with this product. It is very easy to use. It has pictures to show you exactly how to use, clean and store the product. It shows you how to prepare food for storage as well. As an added bonus you get a few recipes too. All together the retail price on this one is about $120.
For Food: FoodSaver 4840
This is a step up from the previous model. It too comes with a starter kit. With this one you get an 11″x10′ Roll, 3 Quart Heat-Seal Bags, 2 Gallon Heat-Seal Bags, 3 Quart Zipper Bags and 2 Gallon Zipper Bags. It comes with a built in handheld retractable sealer. It can seal zipper bags, canisters and containers. This one also can marinate your food. It can accommodate both moist and dry foods. It has built in storage for the roll and a cutter for easy use.
This model uses a 2 step process to operate. All you do is fill your bags with the desired amount food. Then place it in the sealer. You can change some settings for different types of food. The product operates automatically. It has a built in bag detector. No more fussing with operation buttons on this model. This one is definitely a time saver in the kitchen. Once it is done a red light will flash. It is a very quick and easy process to vacuum seal foods with this model.
This model is about 10 pounds but still very lightweight and compact. It will fit anywhere. It has a sleek chrome outer design that is easy to clean. It has a patented removable drawer that holds a removable drip tray. This makes cleaning the inside very easy. Best of all it is dishwasher safe.
This model comes with a built in handheld sealer. This works great for sealing zipper bags, storage canisters and jars. No additional accessories are required. This unit does it all. The instruction manual is clear and very easy to follow. There is a 5 year warranty too. The average cost on this product is around $193.
Under $200: FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe Vacuum Sealing Kit
This model prices at around $110. It is a great choice for preserving fish and game. It comes with a small starter kit. You get 2 rolls of plastic and 2 pre cut bags. The main features include a built in storage for the rolls. It comes with a built in cutter for convenience. It 2 seal levels and 2 vacuum control speeds.
The one touch controls make operation a snap. The sealing strip is extra wide for large portions of food. The sealing strip creates a strong air tight seal. So no liquid or air can escape. Like other food savers it does allow for moist and dry food processing. Just adjust the seal level controls.
If you run out of bags you can use jars or canisters. This model comes with two accessories. You get a vacuum hose and accessory port for easy use with other storage products. It has a Crush free option. So the vacuum process will stop and your food won’t get damaged. The built in cutter is great too. Works well and your bags won’t cut crooked as with some products.
This product has a strong vacuum suction. It is powerful enough to seal the freshest and biggest portions of food. Fishermen and hunters love this product as it can handle a lot of processing over time. It has a patented removable drip tray for easy cleanup. Its hands free design makes it easy for anyone to use.
This food saver is slightly smaller than others. It is compact and lightweight. But it carries a lot of power. It can be used anywhere. This product can seal a lot of bags before it wears down. It comes with a 10 year warranty unlike other models.
For Vegetables: FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1
It has a modern sleek design. The outer cover is made of chrome and has a black finish. It comes with a starter kit right away. It features a retractable hand held sealer for vacuum sealing other products. It is a one unit that does it all kitchen appliance.
This model also uses a 2 step process to function. Just fill your storage bags with the desired amount food. Make sure to seal the bottom first. Then place it in the sealer. Change the settings for either wet or dry food. The sealer works automatically. It has a built in bag detector. You don’t have to worry about manually closing or holding down the cover on this model. This model is very efficient at saving time in the kitchen. Once it is done a red light will flash. The whole process of sealing is done quickly and nearly effortlessly.
As with other models, it is compatible with other FoodSaver accessories. You can use it with canisters, jars and zip lock baggies. The built in retractable hand held sealer makes vacuum sealing a snap. It is easy to use and is a great add on tool for sealing that does away with needing other accessories. This makes food vacuuming fun and efficient.
This product is great for vacuum sealing all kinds of food products. It has a wide sealer design. Good for storing large amounts of food. It can even help with food marinating by making the process a lot easier. Its lightweight design is a compliment to any kitchen counter top. It is so easy to clean and maintain anyone can do it. Its cost is about $150. This is definitely a time saver and money in the kitchen.
For Fish: Weston Pro-2300
Unlike other models this one is a little more industrial. It is larger than the Food Saver products. It weighs about 26 pounds. Its heavy duty construction is made of stainless steel. This product is definitely meant to handle any vacuum sealing you want done. Not too lightweight but very sturdy.
It has a powerful double piston pump seal bar. So you can be sure you’ll have a perfectly sealed package every time. It put out 935 watts of power. The seal bar is extra long on this one. This model can work in manual mode or automatic. The manual mode is great if you are doing customized sealing jobs. The automatic function is quick and easy as it has auto bag detection. The clear top cover lets you see the placement of the bag before you can seal. There are LED lights on the cover that let you know what stage it is in while sealing. No matter what you are sealing you’ll get a professional job done every time.
There are some down sides to this model. Accessories are extra with this product. You can buy compatible hoses to vacuum seal with canisters and jars. The bags must be purchased but they are less expensive that with other name brand sealers. This one does not come with a built in cutter so you need to do that manually.
This product does have its good features too. The air suction on this model is excellent compared to other brands. You will never have to worry about air or liquid leaks once it is sealed. The extra wide sealer lets you use any size of bag. For being industrial strength it is very quiet when it’s running. Another great feature on this product is a built in cooling fan. You’ll never have to worry about this product over heating. The cost here is $373.
For Liquids: Foodsaver V4880
This model comes with a lot more features than previous standard models. The starter kit comes with more goodies. With this model you get 1 heat seal roll, 5 quart sized FoodSaver heat seal bags, 5 quart sized Fresh Saver Zipper Bags, 1 wine stopper and 1 lunch & leftover container. It is a 2 step process to seal foods. After your bags are prepared simply place them in the sealer. The product will do all the work.
This food saver is designated BPA free. So it won’t give off any harsh chemicals after use. It is fully automated with built in bag detection. Once it senses the bag it goes into operation. It has an extra wide sealer for maximum sealing and an air tight lock on the bag. Cleaning is easy with this model. It has a pull out removable drip tray to catch spills. The air tight heat seal removes air from the bags. You’ll have no leakage problems.
There are 2 vacuum speeds you can adjust for different food types. The auto function can detect if food is wet or dry. This food saver can also run in manual mode to control the air removal through it Pulse Vac feature.
Not only does this product seal food but it can be used for marinating food too. There is a rapid marinate feature that works in minutes not hours like other products. Other storage containers like jars or canisters can be used with the model. There is a retractable hand held sealer that is compatible for sealing jars and canisters.
This model weighs about 14 pounds. So it’s a little sturdier than other models. It does work well with generic supplies. The design is sleek and very modern looking. The cost range is about $200.
Under $200: FoodSaver Professional
This food saver is very simple and easy to use. It runs on manual operation. Has a built in roll holder and built in cutter for convenience. The price is a moderate $112. Its starter kit includes bag material, 5 extra bags in quart and gallon sizes. It also comes with an easy to ready owner’s manual and an accessory hose.
This product looks simple but very professional. It was designed to go through a lot of rugged use and last a long time. It has a patented removable extra deep drip tray for spills that is easy to clean. It is also dishwasher safe. The operation buttons are large and easy to use. There are 3 options on the Lever. There is one option to open, one setting to close for when in use and a store option so the gasket does not get blown out. This model is made to handle large continuous jobs without fail. The built in roll holder and cutter make vacuum sealing jobs fast and efficient.
This model is on the smaller compact end but it is great for tough jobs. It is lightweight and small enough to store away in a cabinet. The manual operation is easy to use. Simply prepare your bags for sealing. Then open the top cover. Place your bags in it. Close the lid. Then choose the operation mode you need. It is that easy. This one has an extra wide sealing strip. So you can sure nothing will leak out. You get maximum closure. This model will seal just about anything. You can even reclose a bag of chips.
If you need to vacuum seal a jar, it is no problem with this sealer. It is compatible with other FoodSaver products.
Under $100: Cuisinart VS-100
The total cost here is around $99.00. It is made with a sleek and compact design in black with stainless steel accents. The top cover has a 3 button operation feature. There is also a port available for accessories.
There is an easy locking system that works with the 3 button operation feature. It is extremely lightweight at only 4 pounds. It is small enough to fit in a drawer or take it anywhere you want to vacuum seal food. It comes with a hose for accessory use. The starter kit comes with a few rolls of bagging material and a bag cutter.
Other features include an instant seal feature for delicate foods. This keeps your food from being crushed in the process. There is a cancel button to stop the sealing if it is needed. It has an integrated drip tray for spillage. The sealer is made extra wide to accommodate large bags and seal in air. While compact it has storage space for the bag cutter and the extra vacuum hose.
Even though it does a good sealing job, this product has a few drawbacks. The power cord is shorter than normal cords. So you need to operate this one fairly close to a wall. The recommended storage bags are a little expensive. You can use other bags, but they may not work as well with this model. Some times the vacuum seal does not work the first time and you must try again with a new bag. There is no bag holder on this one. So you need to store that separately.
As long as you read the instructions before use this is a decent food saver. However, it may be problematic and need a few tries until you get the sealing right.
For Meat: FoodSaver Premium 2-In-1 Automatic Bag-Making Vacuum Sealing System
It is one of FoodSavers better models. Nearly everything on this product is automated for convenience. It is priced at $265 with a 5 year warranty. But with all its automation it may very well be worth the cost.
It has a nice design. It is fairly compact and lightweight at 15 pounds. This model has an automatic bag dispenser and rewind mode. The rewind mode keeps you from using too much bag material. The excess can be put back into the machine. Once your bag is ready to be sealed just place it in the saver and the saver does all the work. It is also made with automatic bag cut and sealer. Once your bag is sealed the cutter goes into operation. So while your bag is going through the sealing process you can be saving time by preparing the next bag. There is no need to wait for the first bag to finish.
This model works with an air tight heat sealer. So your bag will stay closed every time automatically sealing. There is no leakage to be worried about. This product works great for marinated food. With the one touch marinade mode you just press the button and leave it alone. Your food will marinate in a few minutes.
Like similar FoodSaver models this one works well with other FoodSaver products and accessories. This one comes with a built in retractable hand held sealer. It’s great for sealing up zipper bags, canisters and jars.
The starter kit comes with much more than other kits. With this one you get 1 – 11″x10′ Heat- Seal Roll, 1 – 8″x10′ Heat-Seal Roll, 3 – Quart-Size Heat-Seal Bags, 2 – Gallon-Size Heat-Seal Bags, 3 – Quart-Size Vacuum Zipper Bags, 2 – Gallon-Size Vacuum Zipper Bags and 1 – 2.25 Wt. Square Marinator.
Under $100: FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System
It is one of FoodSavers least expensive models. Priced at a low $79 with a 1 year warranty it is a very economical purchase. This model is compact in size which is great for easy storage and placement. It runs on manual operation unlike newer models. There is an easy to read user manual with this model.
It comes with the standard removable drip tray. This helps to clean up the product easier. It is also dishwasher safe. It has the crush free instant seal to prevent food damage while in sealing mode.
Operating this machine is very easy. It is a 3 step process. Prepare your bags for sealing. Then place it into the sealer area. Close and lock the cover. Then hit the option button you need. There are two buttons on top for operation use. You can use it in Seal mode only. Or you can use this model with the Seal and Vacuum functions at the same time. The choice is yours. There is a port for an accessory hose. This product is compatible with other FoodSaver products. So the hose can be used with sealing canisters, jars and other containers.
With this model you need to cut sealed bags manually. There is no built in cutter as with other larger models. Another option is to use precut bags to save time and money. The sealer works well on just about any bag. You can even reseal a bag of chips using the original bag. Vacuum sealed bags can also be reused just cut off the sealed end and shorten the bag size.
It comes with a starter kit very similar to other models. You’ll get some bag material but not a lot. Just enough to get you started on a few bags. The other item you will get is the hose for accessory attachment.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST VACUUM SEALER MACHINE
Saving money is important to many households. People will try and save money wherever they can. One of the best areas to try and save money in is with food. Food is more expensive now that it was 20 years ago. So you look at any option you can to not be wasteful with food. Shopping in bulk or saving leftovers are two ways to save money in the kitchen. Purchasing a food saver can help with food preservation. By vacuum sealing food products, you can save hundreds of dollars a month in food expenses. Food will last up to 5 times longer being vacuum sealed than by storing food in other means.
There are many products currently available on the market for a food saver. Before you run out and purchase a vacuum sealer there are a few issues to consider first.
Food Saver Use
There are many reasons people buy food savers. The primary reason being to save money. That is not the only reason to purchase a food saver. Vacuum sealing food can save a lot in money and food waste. But it is also a time saver. There is no need to run out constantly to the store to buy more food. If you purchase bulk food products you can separate the food into smaller quantities. Then you simply vacuum seal your bags and store them away. Vacuum sealed food will last longer in the freezer or pantry than storing food without vacuum sealing. You can also save time on cooking and cleaning. You can precook meals then vacuum seal them for later use. Vacuum sealed bags can be used in a microwave. So you don’t need to use additional pots and pans for cooking or reheating food. This makes cleaning up the kitchen easy as well. Vacuum sealing isn’t just for saving food. People have used this product for sealing up precious items such as jewelry, photographs, important documents, coins and even to marinate food.
Size matters when purchasing a food saver. Some are designed to be extremely compact for space issues. A few small models can even fit in a drawer and keep your counter clear. If you have a larger model you can vacuum seal food using larger bags. Depending on what you want to use for your food saver for then size can be an issue.
Some vacuum savers come with attachments and some do not. If you want to save food using other saving options besides bags, then you will want to have an accessory option. Having an accessory port allows you to use a hose attachment for sealing jars and canisters. Even something as simple as bag material storage can be an option you may want. Many newer sealers come with a compartment to hold your bag. A built in cutter is a feature many people like having. It means you don’t have to look for scissors or a knife to cut your bags. Automated features are great on food savers. They allow you to have a hands free experience when sealing bags. Definitely a saver on effort.
Ease of Use
There is nothing worse than buying an appliance that is difficult to use. Some products don’t even have easy to follow instructions. So you want to get a food saver that is convenient and easy to use. Sometimes it may take practice to use but you don’t want to struggle when sealing a bag. There are a few models that are fully automated. They make food sealing very easy. You don’t have to worry about holding down the lids or pressing multiple buttons while trying to keep you bag straight. Even cleaning the appliance should be simple. The product should be easy to open up and have removable parts for cleaning.
Most newer food saver products come with starter kits for use. So you will get a few pre cut bags of assorted sizes and some extra roll bag material. Once that is used up you will need to purchase more bag material. So you want to check first to see what is compatible with your appliance. There many bag options available at various costs. Not all bag material works with every product. Sometimes the quality of some bags may not be as good as the original ones your appliance came with. Air may not get vacuumed out thoroughly or the bags may not seal properly. So you need to shop around for compatible bags that will work with your food saver. A cheaper costing bag material is not always the best way to go so do your research first.
A good food saver can last for many years. This can vary depending on how much use a product gets. If you are going to be a chronic vacuum sealer you want a product that will be sturdy and hold up over several uses. You want to check reviews for a products life span before buying. You don’t want to get stuck purchasing a product that dies after 10 uses or a few months time. Getting a food saver with at least a one year warranty is recommended.
The price of a food saver can vary as with any other kitchen appliance. Some people will buy a product simply because it’s a name brand. You may pay the high price for a name and not really get a good quality product. Other times you buy a cheaper model and can end up with a cheap product. So you need to look at all the factors of a vacuum sealer before you purchasing your model.
So when shopping for a vacuum food saver the best advice is to do your research first. There are many great products available for purchase. Each one is unique in its own ways. Just make sure to get that one that will work best for you.
FIVE CLEVER WAYS A VACUUM SEALER CAN SAVE YOU MONEY
Vacuum Sealers have a huge amount of benefits, and if you read the site regularly or have been here before, you’ll know that these include food prep and marinating, sealing other items besides food and of course food storage, but we’re focusing today on something which is a superb benefit of owning a vacuum sealer; saving money! It might not be obvious at first, but sealing food and other items can save you money in ways you may never have even thought of, which we’re looking at today.
- Less waste. Lets start with the obvious benefit. Vacuum sealers make your food last longer, and because of this you throw less away, instead of having to throw out the steak you bought a few days ago, you can vacuum sealer, freeze it and generally store it for longer. Next time you need a steak dish, your meat will still be fresh.
- Buy on bulk. For the reason above, many kitchens, particularly busy ones, can buy foodstuff on bulk, and going to a wholesaler (in the UK “cash and carry”) or somewhere like Costco in the USA. Vacuum sealed meat lasts longer in the fridge and freezer than it would have done otherwise, and being able to buy a big bulk of meat can save you money up front.
- Important documents and valuables – now for one of the reasons you may well not have considered. Many of us use our sealers to put important documents and valuable items away safely and away from water damage or perishing. Documents can be tough to replace, and expensive, and of course the same applies for valuables such as jewelry. This is particularly useful if you are in a flood prone area but can help us all, no matter where we live.
- Resealing food – If you buy food such as cereals and chips on a regular basis, you will know that if the bag is left open, they can quickly go stale. Many vacuum sealers allow you to reseal these types of bags, especially the handheld sealers can be great for this, and though you can buy ‘chip clips’ to try and keep them fresh, sealers will do the job far better.
- Cooking in bulk. Something many of us do to reduce our waste is to cook in bulk and freeze. If you live alone or as a couple then eating, for instance a whole lasagne in one sitting can be tough, but instead of throwing away what is left over, you can cut it into portions and vacuum seal it in order to keep the food for longer.
Aren’t Vacuum Sealers Expensive to Run?
No! The initial outlay isn’t cheap, but they’re really not overly pricey to run. You can buy ‘compatible’ bags to go with your sealer which are very affordable. Of course the money you save over the course of a week won’t pay for your sealer, but long term it is very likely that you’ll save more than enough to justify the purchase, which will also make your life a hell of a lot easier.
Can I Clean Vacuum Sealer Bags to Reuse?
In short, yes, you can do this. It is a matter of personal choice and making a judgement call based on what has been sealed in the items before, but turning them inside out before thoroughly washing should be fine in most scenarios, and is yet another way to help your purse strings through this process.
Since Vacuum sealing came into my life, I’ve worked out how to use it in so many ways to marinate my food, save portions for reheating at a later date and of course (as inspired this post) save cash on the grocery bill. My kitchen is more efficient than ever as well as my meals being more tasty than ever.
WHY VACUUM SEALER IS THE BEST CHOICE
Every year tons of food goes to waste. People waste more money on food than they do on entertainment. Food often goes bad if not stored properly. In a refrigerator food can start to go bad after a few days. Cooked leftovers often get tossed away the next day after it is prepared and not eaten. Food stored in cabinets often goes stale if not sealed up. So to stop wasting money on food you need to look into options for saving money and food. That is where purchasing a vacuum food saver comes in. A vacuum sealer is one of the best appliances you can ever have.
Benefits of a vacuum sealer
- A food vacuum sealer can save the average family up to $3000 a year in grocery shopping. By vacuum saving food you won’t be throwing away bad or stale food and having to buy new food.
- Cooked food or leftovers can last up to several days longer than without using a vacuum saver. Food stored in a basic plastic bag or container will only be good for a few days.
- Panty or cabinet stored foods can have a longer shelf life.
- A vacuum sealer can be used on other food products such as resealing a bottle of wine. You’ll never have to worry about flat wine again.
- Bulk food can be stored and kept longer.
- Kitchen cleanup is easier when cooking with a vacuum sealed bag as the bags can be cooked with a microwave and boiled.
- Vacuum sealers are fairly easy to use and store away. Newer models are lightweight and compact.
- The more food you can save means having to shop less. You can even save money on gas for car trips to the store.
- Food that is vacuum sealed can help with storage room in your cabinets or freezer or both. No more need to use big bulky containers for storage.
- Food won’t suffer from freezer burn by using a vacuum sealer. Using plane storage bags without vacuum sealing can cause food to burn or lose their flavoring.
- Pre cooking meals for later use is a benefit of using a vacuum saver. You can save those meals for another day and save time on cooking by reheating that food. Food can be saved for weeks a time.
- Vacuum sealers are great for marinating food. Not only will your food stay fresh it will taste better too.
- With the right accessories you can vacuum seal mason jars and other storage containers. You can even seal up a zipper bag.
- Bagged food such as chips or cereal can be resealed in their own bags. No more throwing away stale chips or other snacks.
Vacuum sealing is great for bulk shopping
Most people think that bulk shopping is only for large families. That is not true. Anyone can do bulk shopping. If you have a food saver or vacuum sealer it makes bulk shopping worth the effort. Some people don’t like bulk shopping as they think it is too much food to buy and may go to waste. Vacuum sealing food is great for the bulk shopper. You can buy large amounts of food and separate everything into smaller packages. Keep what you want and store the rest away in a freezer or pantry. This is great option for even a single person.
Vacuum sealers are fun and easy to use
Some people don’t like food savers and think they are difficult to use. This couldn’t be more untrue. Many of the newer models are automated for easy use. So you are not having to worry about fussing with a bag while it goes through the process of sealing. The automated process makes it nearly a hands free experience. All you need to do is prepare your food and load up your bag for sealing. The machine does the rest of the work. It is so easy that even a child can do it.
Food that is vacuum sealed will hold its freshness longer. If you have food that is grown in your own garden you can seal it up immediately and store it for future use. Unlike market purchased food that has been sitting around a while you can guarantee your food is fresher and store food.
Anything can be vacuum sealed
There is virtually no limitation to what can be put in a vacuum sealer. Just about all models can handle dry foods and cooked foods. Even soups can be stored away for a later use. Delicate foods such as cookies or breads can be stored as well using a vacuum sealer functions properly. Some people have even used their sealers for storing spices and candies in small quantities. If you want to be really creative you can even seal up items without the vacuum process. Items such as old pictures, important documents and precious jewels can be sealed away for safe keeping.
Appliance of convenience
Having a vacuum sealer in your home is adds a sense of convenience to your life. It makes shopping easier and storing food easier. You don’t have to be under pressure to eat everything before it expires or spoils. Sealing food gives you that freedom to eat what you want and when. If you have food save on hand then you don’t need to worry about running out and shopping for more.
So if you don’t already own a vacuum sealer you should consider purchasing one. This appliance is probably one of the best investments you can make in your home. Not only does it save you time and money, it has many possible uses. If you already have one, it may be time to invest in a newer model with more features. The possibilities are endless of what you can store with a vacuum sealer. The money you save in groceries will more than cover the cost of a vacuum saver and bags over its life time.
TIPS FOR USING A VACUUM SEALER
Once you make the decision to purchase a vacuum sealer you want to make every effort you can to get the most out of it. Some people think these products are just for saving food. But they can be used for much more. A vacuum saver can be a money saver, time saver and all around life preserver. This is a machine that can last for years and do wonders for household thriftiness. Making sure you take good care of your product is the key to having a long lasting machine. You have to make sure you know how to use it properly. Once you’ve mastered that skill then the fun can begin with your machine. Here are some great tips and tricks for using a vacuum saver and getting your money’s worth.
Vacuum Sealer Tips
- Always make sure to clean your machine after you are done using it. There is always a chance that a spill will leak something onto you machine. Most models have an easy to open lid with a removable drip tray. Take out the tray frequently and wash with care. Wipe clean any parts that are exposed to spills.
- Prior to sealing up soups or fresh fruit, it is recommended that you pre freeze these items. This will help keep spills down to a minimum. Fresh fruit will not get squashed in the sealing process.
- While you are in the sealing process, try to keep the bags are smooth as possible. It is always possible that a small wrinkle can lead to a small air pocket. This in turn can lead to food spoilage.
- If a bag did not seal properly the first time it can be redone. Just remember to not open the bag. All you have to do is reseal the bag just a little closer to the food. About a quarter inch of space is all you need.
- Never over stuff a bag. Always leave about 3 inches at the top for sealing. If you want to reuse a bag you may want to leave an additional inch or two at the top to allow for another bag reuse and reseal.
- While a vacuum seal bag is strong it cannot withstand sharp edges. Always be sure to pre wrap any item that has sharp edges or that can puncture open a bag during the vacuum sealing process. Using a paper towel or even a cushiony product can make a difference.
- To make sure your food lasts longer always store it properly after it has been vacuum sealed. Dry food products should be stored in a cabinet or pantry. Any meat or fresh fruit or vegetable should be stored in a refrigerator or freezer.
- When sealing up any food product that may be powdery or crumbly be sure to use a filter between the food and the vacuum pump. This will make sure that no crumb can damage the machine during the sealing process.
- Never try to make your own bags. Some machines have bags that are specifically designed to work with that model only. Using alternative bags may mean not getting a good seal or vacuum suction process.
- Most machines do an excellent job of pulling out air. However you can add in a moisture absorber or oxygen absorber to assist with the air suction process.
- To save money on vacuum sealer bags, shop around first. Never purchase the bags or other bag rolls from the manufacturer. The costs will be higher directly from the manufacturer. You can get the same items online for a lower cost.
- While most machines will seal up a bag with a moist food product in it you need to make sure the area for sealing is dry. Any drop of liquid no matter how small can create an issue with the sealer and air pockets can get in a bag.
Besides vacuum sealing food for freshness and longevity, vacuum sealers can do other things as well. Here are a few side tips and tricks for using for a vacuum sealer. Well they are a bit unconventional, they are good to know. You can vacuum seal just about anything. Your only limit is your imagination.
- Use a vacuum sealer to protect important papers like a passport or birth certificate or photographs. Sealing up old photographs helps preserve the original coloring of the picture and it won’t fade over time.
- Jewelry can be saved from tarnish or damage by being vacuum sealed. You won’t have to worry about precious stones falling loose from any ring or necklace.
- You can seal up hand guns and ammunition. This keeps them from getting into the wrong hands.
- Sealing up a bag of water is great for using later as an ice pack. Once the ice melts you can just refreeze it for another use.
- Small pieces of clothing can be sealed in a bag for easy storage in luggage.
- You can keep a first aid kit fresh by sealing it in a vacuum sealed bag. You can also take a large kit and break it down into smaller kits for back packers. This way everyone has their own kit to use if separated.
- Vacuum sealing is great for travelers. You can seal up items like creams or shampoos. This way there will be no chance of leakage in your luggage.
- When planning a camping or fishing trip you don’t want some items such as matches to get wait in the event of rain. So sealing them up is ideal for prolonging their use.
- A food saver doesn’t have to just stay in the kitchen. Many models are small enough to be portable. So you can take it with you on camping, fishing or hunting trips. This helps tremendously if you are a big game hunter and want to seal up and store your catch while its still fresh.
- Vacuum seal emergency food packs. In the event of an emergency you will have prepacked foods to eat. The food can be saved a long time and its guaranteed fresh when you need it.
Vacuum Sealer Q+A
How to use vacuum sealer?
- You start by preparing a bag of food to be vacuum sealed.
- Place the desired amount of food to be sealed into the bag, leaving some space at the top. Then you place your bag into the sealer area of the machine.
- Set your operation buttons.
- Press your start button if you don’t have an automation machine. Automated models will start on their own.
How do vacuum sealers work?
- The vacuum sealing function is the process where all the air is removed from the package. Once the air is gone, then the package can be sealed shut.
- If you don’t need to remove air from a bag, then the sealer by itself will just close off the bag.
- The sealing system will heat the bag and close it tightly.
Should I buy a vacuum sealer?
- A vacuum sealer is one of the most inexpensive and economical appliance you can own.
- You can seal up a variety of food types.
- You can save money on grocery shopping buy making bulk purchases.
- Large pieces of meat including deer, chicken, steaks and even fish can be vacuum sealed and stored in a refrigerator for weeks.
- Vacuum sealers are great for home use, restaurants and even on camping trips.
- Most machines are fairly inexpensive.
- You can get a domestic model or a commercial model depending on your needs.
- For the money you spend on a machine it will pay off itself in no time.
Do vacuum sealers hide smell?
- As long as a bag is sealed tightly with no air pockets then any smell will be concealed until you open the bag.
- If there is a chance that air is in the bag, it may assist with bacteria growth that can occur with food.
What vacuum sealer is best for sous vide?
- Any vacuum sealer machine you buy can be used for sous vide cooking.
- It is better to buy a vacuum sealer that can work with zipper bags.
- Those bags are the best for sous vide cooking.
- You can open them to add in seasoning while you are cooking or check for food doneness.
While these are all great food saver products only one is truly the best one. For its compact design, basic features and low cost the FoodSaver V2244 is the most economical buy. But if its great quality you’re looking for with amazing features then the model to buy is the FoodSaver Premium 2-In-1 Automatic Bag-Making Vacuum Sealing System.
This product is great all the way around. Unlike other products everything is fully automated on this model. This leaves the consumer available to do other things while the bags are sealing. This saves you time and money. It is a high quality long lasting product with great reviews. With all of its options this model is worth the price.